Essential HOWs of Boardroom!
Aforementioned are few important HOWs that every director or aspiring director thinks about or encounters either before or after getting into the Boardroom.Let us try to answer each HOW and understand the value of each HOW in practicality:
1. How to make yourself Boardroom ready?
The first and the foremost question that comes to the minds of every aspiring director i.e. ‘How to make yourself Boardroom ready?’ Here are some important tips that can help you get ready for Board positions:
· Consider your motivations for being a Board member
· Consider the sector you are more interested to serve and how can you add value to such sectors as a Board member
· Design your Board profile in such a manner that people know your Board ambitions
· Be financially literate and understand directors’ duties
· Create a professional pitch encompassing your vision, competence and value that your can bring to the table as a Board member
· Most important – Start to think like a director and be confident in your approach
2. How to participate in Boardrooms?
Another essential question that most of the Board members seek answer to is ‘How to participate in Boardrooms?’ – What all points your can make in the Boardroom and get your voice heard to the people out there.
· Make yourself available in the Boardroom atleast 3-5 minutes prior to the meeting, so that your feel comfortable with the room environment and people around
· Be well prepared with the topic of discussion in the Boardroom. If you are unaware of the topic, give time to listen to people around and take points
· Be appropriately dressed in the Boardroom. This will boost your confidence and your presentation styles inside the Boardroom.
3. How to speak up on important issues and make your VOICE heard?
Follow these tips and you will be able to address important issues and make your VOICE heard:
· Understand and relate to sensitive issues of the Company like Anti-Bribery Anti-Corruption, POSH, Whistleblowing etc.
· Gain insights on aforementioned issues and keep yourself updated
· Make relevant points on the said topics and be a torch bearer for the protection of rights of the stakeholders
4. How to ask relevant questions in the meeting?
Asking relevant questions in the Boardroom is the need of the hour. In order to bring an issue to the limelight and seek appropriate answers to it, it is essential that members of the Board ask specific questions. Here are some ways that can help you ask relevant questions in the Boardroom:
· Be a good listener. Develop a habit of listening to the views and opinions Board members
· Be prepared with appropriate facts, figures and data to support your question and make it relevant
· Do not ask questions only for the sake of asking rather be prepared to counter answer the same with a valid logic if asked to justify
· Have a thought process before asking questions and then take due time to formulate appropriate questions
5. How to portray yourself as a leader in the Boardroom?
Here are few ways you can be on the front foot of strengthening your personal brand within your organization and beyond.
· Explore your
· Upskill yourself
· Spotlight your
· Request feedback and work upon the same
6. How to introduce diversity in Boardrooms?
Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) are integral parts of organizational culture and are considered to be one of the best ways’ companies could bring purpose and values to lives. Organizations with diverse voices are able to innovate holistic solutions to business and social challenges, encourage creative thinking, build positive mindset and succeed engagement with all its stakeholders.
· Introduce Diversity and Inclusion as one of the essential pillars of good governance in the Boardroom
· Introduce a perspective where all the Board members move forward to respect all the genders at workplace irrespective of the caste, sex, creed, religion and more
· As a director, set the tone from the top and initiate measures to create a safe and inclusive work environment
7. How to study agenda and get well prepared for the meeting?
· Treat meeting agenda as the Bible
· If you are provided with an electronic copy of agenda, try to get prints of the same to make it more convenient to read and understand
· Try to read the entire agenda before the meeting and highlight important areas where you would like to make a point
· Research on latest updates on the topics highlighted by you
· Draft specific relevant questions on highlighted points
- April (3)
- Will you drive your vehicle without a dashboard?
- Are you making SIPs to improve your Emotional Intelligence
- Corporate Governance needs a Moral Compass – Ethics in Indian Boardrooms!
- August (9)
- Grow with Governance: ESG is the umbrella for CSR, says Vedanta's Roma Balwani
- Challenges of Organizational Culture Change
- The winding road of leadership coaching in the post-pandemic era
- ESG & ITS IMPORTANCE FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF BOARD MEETING
- Grow with Governance: PadUp Ventures' Rajat Jain Demystifies Correlation of Governance and Economic Growth
- Grow with Governance: Family governance impacts the culture of a family-run business, says Equations Advisors' Mita Dixit
- Entrepreneurial Board
- NEW REGULATORY PROVISIONS RELATED TO INDEPENDENT DIRECTORS
- Start early, don't wait till retirement to become an Independent Director, says Increate Value Advisors' Milind Sarwate
- February (4)
- What Makes Great Boards Great! Performance Evaluation by Boards and Role of Independent Directors
- Promoter Director – Time to become Custodian of Governance!
- Diversity and Inclusion – The Board Perspective!
- Re-examination of Purpose by the Boards in Post -Pandemic Era
- January (2)
- Cyber Security Insurance and Boards
- New Directors - Have you done your due diligence
- July (7)
- Kindness is key
- How to Brand Yourself as a Leader of the Company?
- Essential HOWs of Boardroom!
- Top 10 Questions to Ask in Boardrooms!
- Top 10 areas to contribute in Boards as Independent Directors
- Grow with Governance: ESG essential to repair the damage economic activities caused to the earth, says CA Shailesh Haribhakti
- Why Advisory Boards Are Important for Indian Business Corporates?
- June (6)
- Are you hesitant to speak in the Boardroom!
- The Neem Project a Leadership case study
- Leading from the Boardroom
- Corporate Governance Deviation – Infosys Case Study
- Directors Liability in India
- Why do promoters need Independent Directors?
- March (4)
- Modernizing Governance: The Board’s Role in ESG!
- Board Refreshment: Finding the Right Balance for your Board!
- Agility and Compassion: Two Pillars for Boards in the Post Pandemic Era!
- HR Governance and Board – How Important Is It?
- May (3)
- How do you make your personal Brand?
- Restructuring appraisals in 2021 – Gratitude, Purpose & Meritocracy
- Leadership Coaching: How does it help Leaders
- October (2)
- Are Independent Director’s required on the Board?
- 'Ethics & Governance' lesson should start from school, says Federal Bank's Independent Director, Sankarshan Basu
- September (3)
- Grow with Governance: As an Independent Director ensure your voice is heard, says Apurva Purohit
- Grow with Governance: Push for ESG agenda; pool CSR funds to maximise impact, says Ranganath NK, former MD of Grundfos Pumps
- Grow with Governance: Boards should prepare companies for different risks, says National Insurance Academy's G Srinivasan
- August (4)
- WOMEN DIRECTOR-An Emerge
- SME IPO – AN OPPORTUNITY TO CAPITALIZE YOUR BUSINESS
- BOARD MEMBER SELECTION- A TASK OF PERFECTION
- ARE YOUR BOARD MEMBERS SAVVY WITH FINANCIAL TERMS AND EXCEL IN FINANCIAL LITERACY QUOTIENT AS PER COMPANIES ACT 2013 MANDATES.
- December (3)
- Good or bad, Salary Increments always cause a heartburn among employees
- Is Economic Progress Enough?
- Emotional Intelligence
- November (3)
- Generating Wealth Beyond Money
- "Agile Mindset for Leadership"
- Tips for Aspiring Independent Directors
- September (3)
- Lean Thinking Boards
- Independent Director
- Corporate Governance & Women on Boards
- August (1)
- Liability of Independent Directors – An Important Aspect of Corporate Governance
- December (2)
- Let us address E(SG)lephant in the Boardroom!
- Implications of PUFE Transactions on Independent Directors under IBC
- February (4)
- Green Bonds: An Instrument for Financing a Sustainable Future
- Tool for effectiveness of Board Committees - Ask Right Questions
- A Hero's Farewell: How to handle employee exits with dignity
- Russia-Ukraine war and India’s Business Implication
- July (2)
- Risk Assessment and Minimization Procedures – Role of Board
- Stagnation or Evolution – Mindset Shifts of Boards when Company sees Stagnated Growth
- March (2)
- A study on Sustainability Report of Container Shipping Companies.
- India and The ESG impact of Crypto Currencies
- May (1)
- Independent Directors liability under GST
- November (1)
- Workplace Sexual Harassment and the Role of Board
- October (2)
- How many Boards are too many?
- Women in Indian Boardrooms Vs Diversity = Inversely Proportionate
- September (2)
- Are you ready to serve on the Board?
- Organizing for the Future – Important keys to becoming future ready
- February (2)
- A Bird’s Eye View on GREEN BONDS
- Budget 2023-24 –From MSME perspective