Are you hesitant to speak in the Boardroom!
Are you afraid to speak up during meetings?
Do you have similar thoughts (a) didn’t have good ideas (b) didn’t want to appear too loud or aggressive (c) were afraid of being wrong etc.?
These are some very relatable and basic question that every director whether independent or promoter director has in his minds while attending a Boardroom meet. Feeling intimidated in the Boardroom can happen to the most confident of people. Learning to be less influenced by the behaviors of people around you, allows you to stand your ground with greater ease. While different people hesitate from speaking up for different reasons, yet underneath these varied reasons are typically coming from the same root cause: a feeling of fear based on the assessment that speaking up is somehow risky.
What should you do if you encounter such problem in the Boardroom?
Here are some basic tips that cam help you speak content with confidence in the Boardroom as well as present yourself well in front of the Board:
a. Do your Homework well – It is extremely important for Board members to read the agenda thoroughly and be well prepared. It is advisable to chart out queries and vital discussion points from the agenda in a separate paper. Also backing your points with certain cases and facts would help you make a strong point in the Boardroom.
b. Ease into the conversation – Asking probing questions to better understand others’ viewpoints, suggestions and proposals is one of the easiest ways to engage in a meeting and can lead to more robust understanding and fruitful discussion for all attending.
c. Solicit feedback after making a viewpoint – This practice specifically helps to involve the audience i.e. the rest of the Board to listen to you actively and be a part of the discussion. Also, it is very essential to create a feedback loop in which you are always taking suggestions and incorporating them into your preparation for the next meeting.
d. Hold your body ‘confident’ - At meetings, hold your body as if you’re confident and have an important perspective to share. This includes good posture, leaning in, holding direct eye contact and generally being more expansive with your body. Holding your body “as if” primes your mind for confidence and sets you up to speak more freely.
e. Choose appropriate words before making a viewpoint – On one hand when it is important to speak at the meeting, on the other hand it is equally important to choose right words to make a strong viewpoint.
f. Dress well – One of the most helpful ways to develop confidence and seek other’s attention is to dress well and appropriately as per the occasion. It is very simple, if you look good, you automatically feel good.
Try to apply these basic tips into your day-to-day activities and witness a huge change in your presentation in the Boardroom.
Role of (MentorMyBoard) MMB in helping directors lead from Boardrooms:
MMB is on a mission to groom more than 20,000 professionals during the year and is aggressively working towards bringing more aspiring independent directors to leadership roles by empowering them with right skillsets required for Board positions. MMB is offering a platform that prepares Directors towards ethical leadership, robust governance practices, borderless compliance and insights that in turn make competitive Boards potentially prevalent.
MMB is all set to empower Directors and make sustainable Boards in India.
Avail MMB Membership now and be a part of the premium Director Community. Get the right handholding, right mentorship and right attributes now at MMB. Convey your story of directorship and become a part of Board Leadership in the country.
To be a part of our ecosystem and get professional handholding & mentoring, please click https://www.mentormyboard.com/membership and avail unlimited benefits for the year!
- April (3)
- Will you drive your vehicle without a dashboard?
- Are you making SIPs to improve your Emotional Intelligence
- Corporate Governance needs a Moral Compass – Ethics in Indian Boardrooms!
- August (9)
- Grow with Governance: ESG is the umbrella for CSR, says Vedanta's Roma Balwani
- Challenges of Organizational Culture Change
- The winding road of leadership coaching in the post-pandemic era
- ESG & ITS IMPORTANCE FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF BOARD MEETING
- Grow with Governance: PadUp Ventures' Rajat Jain Demystifies Correlation of Governance and Economic Growth
- Grow with Governance: Family governance impacts the culture of a family-run business, says Equations Advisors' Mita Dixit
- Entrepreneurial Board
- NEW REGULATORY PROVISIONS RELATED TO INDEPENDENT DIRECTORS
- Start early, don't wait till retirement to become an Independent Director, says Increate Value Advisors' Milind Sarwate
- February (4)
- What Makes Great Boards Great! Performance Evaluation by Boards and Role of Independent Directors
- Promoter Director – Time to become Custodian of Governance!
- Diversity and Inclusion – The Board Perspective!
- Re-examination of Purpose by the Boards in Post -Pandemic Era
- January (2)
- Cyber Security Insurance and Boards
- New Directors - Have you done your due diligence
- July (7)
- Kindness is key
- How to Brand Yourself as a Leader of the Company?
- Essential HOWs of Boardroom!
- Top 10 Questions to Ask in Boardrooms!
- Top 10 areas to contribute in Boards as Independent Directors
- Grow with Governance: ESG essential to repair the damage economic activities caused to the earth, says CA Shailesh Haribhakti
- Why Advisory Boards Are Important for Indian Business Corporates?
- June (6)
- Are you hesitant to speak in the Boardroom!
- The Neem Project a Leadership case study
- Leading from the Boardroom
- Corporate Governance Deviation – Infosys Case Study
- Directors Liability in India
- Why do promoters need Independent Directors?
- March (4)
- Modernizing Governance: The Board’s Role in ESG!
- Board Refreshment: Finding the Right Balance for your Board!
- Agility and Compassion: Two Pillars for Boards in the Post Pandemic Era!
- HR Governance and Board – How Important Is It?
- May (3)
- How do you make your personal Brand?
- Restructuring appraisals in 2021 – Gratitude, Purpose & Meritocracy
- Leadership Coaching: How does it help Leaders
- October (2)
- Are Independent Director’s required on the Board?
- 'Ethics & Governance' lesson should start from school, says Federal Bank's Independent Director, Sankarshan Basu
- September (3)
- Grow with Governance: As an Independent Director ensure your voice is heard, says Apurva Purohit
- Grow with Governance: Push for ESG agenda; pool CSR funds to maximise impact, says Ranganath NK, former MD of Grundfos Pumps
- Grow with Governance: Boards should prepare companies for different risks, says National Insurance Academy's G Srinivasan
- August (4)
- WOMEN DIRECTOR-An Emerge
- SME IPO – AN OPPORTUNITY TO CAPITALIZE YOUR BUSINESS
- BOARD MEMBER SELECTION- A TASK OF PERFECTION
- ARE YOUR BOARD MEMBERS SAVVY WITH FINANCIAL TERMS AND EXCEL IN FINANCIAL LITERACY QUOTIENT AS PER COMPANIES ACT 2013 MANDATES.
- December (3)
- Good or bad, Salary Increments always cause a heartburn among employees
- Is Economic Progress Enough?
- Emotional Intelligence
- November (3)
- Generating Wealth Beyond Money
- "Agile Mindset for Leadership"
- Tips for Aspiring Independent Directors
- September (3)
- Lean Thinking Boards
- Independent Director
- Corporate Governance & Women on Boards
- August (1)
- Liability of Independent Directors – An Important Aspect of Corporate Governance
- December (2)
- Let us address E(SG)lephant in the Boardroom!
- Implications of PUFE Transactions on Independent Directors under IBC
- February (4)
- Green Bonds: An Instrument for Financing a Sustainable Future
- Tool for effectiveness of Board Committees - Ask Right Questions
- A Hero's Farewell: How to handle employee exits with dignity
- Russia-Ukraine war and India’s Business Implication
- July (2)
- Risk Assessment and Minimization Procedures – Role of Board
- Stagnation or Evolution – Mindset Shifts of Boards when Company sees Stagnated Growth
- March (2)
- A study on Sustainability Report of Container Shipping Companies.
- India and The ESG impact of Crypto Currencies
- May (1)
- Independent Directors liability under GST
- November (1)
- Workplace Sexual Harassment and the Role of Board
- October (2)
- How many Boards are too many?
- Women in Indian Boardrooms Vs Diversity = Inversely Proportionate
- September (2)
- Are you ready to serve on the Board?
- Organizing for the Future – Important keys to becoming future ready
- February (2)
- A Bird’s Eye View on GREEN BONDS
- Budget 2023-24 –From MSME perspective